UVU believes the Odessa Ector County community is facing many issues. Many of these issues are not being addressed by our community leaders. UVU will work to bring to the forefront issues facing our community. Bringing together all stakeholders will be key in making sure our voice will be heard. Knowledge is power. The more we know about key issues the better prepared we will be to address city and county leadership.
UVU periodically schedules Community Meetings and Forums. Current meeting and and Forum schedule can be viewed here.
December 18, 2014
November 20, 2014
- Building Safe Communities - Community Leaders respond to President Barack Obama's call for a "sustained conversation" with local law enforcement. 70+ people showed up for tonight's meeting. City leaders included the Chief Tim Burton, Sheriff Mark Donaldson, City of Odessa Mayor David Turner, and District Attorney Bobby Bland. Read our Chairman's public comments to other CBO's and Letter to the OA Editor Continue Reading.
September 11, 2014
- Secured Communities (S-COMM) - The President's recent Executive Action has ended the Secure Communities program, as we know it. SCOMM had been an unjust way of dealing with low risk immigrants. Initially intended to deport criminal immigrants but it's misuse often seen as a tool used by some law enforcement to racially profile and eventually separate families. SCOMM had also resulted in the deportation of thousands of U.S. Military Veterans. Continue Reading.
June 16, 2014
- Secured Communities (S-COMM) - UVU submitted a FOIA request to the Midland County Sheriff Office regarding the number of ICE Detainers/Hold had been used this year. Midland County has been less cooperative in providing information creating obstacles instead of providing requests at a reasonable cost to this organization. Continue Reading.
September 26, 2012
- Secured Communities (S-COMM) - UVU submitted a FOIA request to the Ector County Sheriff Office regarding the number of ICE Detainers/Hold had been used this year. We found that individuals were being held with NO BOND and some even turned over to ICE for minor infractions. Leading to deportations. Also, find that ECSD has no written policy on handling possible undocumented immigrants. Continue Reading.
- Community Meeting / ECISD Bond - UVU hosted a community forum and invited Odessans for Kids to speak to community members about proposed ECISD bond proposal. UVU host community meetings every quarter to discuss various issues facing our community. View more on Youtube: Video.