UVU believes in fighting discrimination in all forms. UVU will always put at the forefront advocacy in Voting Rights, Redistricting, Housing concerns, Immigration, and social justice. UVU also believe in education access for all.
January 9, 2015
- Recreating the March on Washington 1963 - Our 2015 event will be just as memorable as our first. Please share this link with the event flyer and get everyone involved. This is a awesome opportunity to teach our youth and not let the memory of our predecessors fade. Continue Reading.
November 25, 2014
- In light of Ferguson Riots - Injustice affects all people. Everyone must understand communities are first to bring these things to the forefront of attention. Activism and organizing bring attention and attract media to gain a broader audience and start movements. If these things are not happening then no one sees the injustice and does not affect changes. There is a horrible trend happening in the USA. Law Enforcement is quick to use deadly force. Sadly children are dying at the hand of law enforcement. Black, White, Brown and other. Every life matters. We seek justice for all. We should hold law enforcement accountable for their actions. Continue Reading.
March 30, 2014
- UVU Cesar Chavez March & Rally - "Cesar was born on March 31, 1927. He was an American farm worker, labor leader and civil rights activist, who, with Dolores Huerta, co-founded the National Farm Workers Association (later the United Farm Workers union, UFW)." In 2011, HB505 was introduced by Rep. Tryon Lewis, this bill would have eliminated Cesar Chavez Day in Texas. After protests around Texas with new Marches and Rallies being organized HB505 died in committee. Our first Cesar Chavez March was in 2012 unprecedented in Odessa,TX. Continue Reading.
January 20, 2014
January 3, 2013
- UVU / MLK Declamation Event - Martin Luther King Jr. was a social activist, who was a leader in the Civil Rights Movement in the United States from the mid-1950s until his death by assassination in 1968. Every year UVU honors MLK for his advancement of civil rights using nonviolent civil disobedience. This was our first ever declamation on the lawn of the Ector County Courthouse. Continue Reading.
- Neo Nazi Group NSM threatens demonstration against MLK March - Growing Nazi group in Odessa TX begins recruitment activity includeing online threat to MLK Day March. UVU immediately fires back and assures a coalition would counter any demonstration. Continue Reading.